We offer special programs for schools. In addition, you can get information on how to use the library on this page.
We will be offering special group tours of the University Library for schools starting in mid-November. Alternatively, you can also take a short video walk-through in german of the University Library.
You can choose between three modules with a limited number of participants of 20 people plus 2 accompanying persons.
In addition to general information about the library, we will give you a brief introduction to the catalog. Afterwards, we will show you the library's premises, you will learn everything about borrowing and using the media, and you can take a look behind the scenes in the stacks area (which is closed to the public).
(Duration: approx. 90 minutes)
In addition to general information about the library, we will give you a brief introduction to the catalog and introduce you to our facilities. Using a scavenger hunt, the students then explore the library. If desired, we can end the event with a walk through the closed stacks.
(Duration: 90 minutes)
Archive and library tour especially for seminar courses / high school courses with historical interest:
You will receive general information about the use of the library and we will introduce you to our premises. Afterwards you will visit the university archives. After a short introduction, you will be able to work with selected archival materials (we are happy to take individual wishes into account when selecting sources) and finally take a look at one of our stacks.
(Duration: 120 minutes)
To use the full range of services offered by the library, you need a library card. External users and school stundents can obtain a card as long as they are residents of Baden-Württemberg.
- More information about applying for library cards.
You can discover most of the library’s media under Books & more in the Catalog plus. If you find an item in Catalog plus that you would like to borrow, please take a note of the book’s call number and location (in Holdings Info).
Most online articles and essays can be found through the tap Articles&more.
There are also several specialized catalogs.
You can check out books yourself using our self-checkout stations in the Lending Center (Ausleihzentrum). Just follow the on-screen instructions. You just need your library card. To return the items, you take them to the return station (Rückgabe) in the Lending Center. You don't need your library card for this. Just follow the on-screen instructions. Outside opening hours, you can drop off media in the return box near the main entrance.
If you have any further questions ask a staff member in the Lending Center.
The loan period for books is 28 days (for reading room loans and periodicals 14 days). The loan period can be extended via the catalog (section "My account").
You log in to the catalog plus with your ID number without dots, but with the 0 at the end, and enter your password.
Loan period extensions may be made up to a maximum of 4 x 28 days. Extensions are not possible if someone else needs the book and has placed a hold via the catalog.
You can see the end of the loan period and any reservations entered in Catalog plus - My account.
A short overview of media locations in the University Library:
- Open stacks: in the Ammerbau. Books are shelved in numerical order according to the book’s shelf mark (call number). Items in this area can be taken from the shelves and checked out using the self-checkout stations next to Desk (Ausleihzentrum).
- Closed stacks: items marked in the library catalogue with the location “stacks” must be ordered, as they are stored in a closed off area. The items you order can be picked up the next day from self-service collection shelves in the area adjacent to the Lending Center Desk and checked out. Some items may have lending restrictions and may only be used within the Ammerbau or the Manuscript Reading Room (Handschriftenlesesaal).
- Textbook collection (Lehrbuchsammlung):
You can find important textbooks from each field of study at the university in the area adjacent to and in the gallery above the Lending Center Desk. They are shelved according to their subject area and call number and can be taken home.
- Non-circulating collections: in the Ammerbau on floor 3. Important reference books, specialized bibliographies and text books which are shelved according to subject area. You can only work with these items inside the library.
- Manuscript Reading Room (Handschriftenlesessaal in the Bonatzbau):
These items cannot be borrowed. Copying is usually permitted.
You can use the green marked internet workstations in the main building and in the Ammerbau to academic research on the internet and in databases as well as to access our licensed e-media for a limited time every day.
The University Library provides numerous network printers (both color and black-and-white) in the University Library that also serve as copiers and scanners. You can find them in the main building (Hauptgebäude), in Ammerbau and in Waschhalle.