Accommodation Service



University guest houses and residences

We want you to settle in well in Tübingen and are happy to support you in your search for accommodation:

  • the University of Tübingen manages and cares for 42 one- to three-room apartments and 23 rooms in two guest houses.
  • our database of private housing offers can help you find a longer-term place to live. It is worthwhile to inquire with us.

We can offer you the following housing options:

Dozentenwohnheim in the Heuberger-Tor-Weg

  • 1- to 3-room apartments for guests staying longer than one month.

Guest house in Lessingweg 1

  • Rooms for guests staying longer than one week.

Guest house in Lessingweg 3

  • Accommodation for a few days is also possible here.

Private landlord database

  • Private landlords are happy to offer their apartments or rooms for rent to international researchers at the University of Tübingen. By passing on our offers, we establish a direct contact between landlord and tenant. Please ask us if we have any current offers for your period of stay!


Please contact us by e-mail as early as possible, preferably 6 months before your arrival, so that we can check your reservation request in time. Do not forget to indicate the exact period and the number of persons.

Due to the great demand and because we would like to provide accommodation for as many guests of the university as possible at the beginning of their stay, we can unfortunately often only provide living space for longer stays for a limited period of time.

Accommodations for doctoral candidates

As an international doctoral candidate, you may apply for accommodation in the university’s guest rooms or apartments for visiting researchers. If you also enroll as a student of the University of Tuebingen (the additional process called “Immatrikulation”), you have the additional option of applying for a room in the student dormitory of Heuberger-Tor-Weg 15, which is administered by the Studierendenwerk Tuebingen-Hohenheim, the Student Services of the Universities of Tuebingen and Hohenheim.


  • You must be enrolled as a student of the University of Tuebingen (Immatrikulation), not simply accepted as a doctoral candidate.
  • You have filled out the Welcome Center registration form and sent it back to us.

How to apply

If you fulfil the prerequisites listed above, you can apply for a dormitory room using the online application form of the Studierendenwerk Tuebingen-Hohenheim. This application may be submitted at any time and is not dependent on the university terms.

You will be considered for a room only if:

  • a room is available for the requested time
  • you have submitted your online application and
  • the Welcome Center Accommodation Service has notified the Student Services that you are a registered guest.

If a room is available, the Studierendenwerk will offer you a room and give you the relevant information and documents needed for the rental contract.

Because the demand for dormitory rooms exceeds the number of rooms available, these rooms can only be rented for up to six months. This gives you time to settle in, get your bearings and actively look for a permanent room. If the room has not been requested by another candidate and you inquire at least two months before your rent contract expires, your contract can be extended to a maximum of twelve months in total. After that period your contract will be terminated and you will have to move out (no exceptions).

Tübingen Research Campus

More information can be found on the website of the Tübingen Research Campus.