Doctoral studies at the University of Tübingen

Steps to enrollment

To enroll for a doctorate, you must first be accepted as a doctoral student by one of our faculties. You must present written confirmation of this when you enroll. You must enroll via Student Administration.

Please contact the Dean’s Office of the relevant faculty in all matters regarding your acceptance as a doctoral student, including which subject you plan to enroll in.

Enrollment is compulsory

Under § 38 para. (5) of the law governing higher education in the state of Baden-Württemberg (LHG), as of 30 March 2018 doctoral students must enroll once they have been accepted as doctoral students by a faculty.


  • Doctoral students accepted by their faculty prior to 30 March 2018 may enroll but are not compelled to do so.
  • Doctoral students who are employed at the University of Tübingen (work contract of at least half the regular hours of a full-time employee) may be exempted from the requirement to enroll.  For this, we need a declaration of exemption from compulsory enrollment, the acceptance as a doctoral candidate by the faculty and a copy of the current work contract.

Fees and charges

Doctoral students are required to pay the administration fee, the semesterly fee for student services Tübingen-Hohenheim AöR and the student union fee (total amount).

These fees are to be paid by bank transfer after enrollment. You will receive all the information you need for the transfer by e-mail after your application has been processed. For bank transfers, it may take a few days for the paid fees to post with the University.


Change of program

If you are already enrolled at the University of Tübingen and now want to switch to a doctoral program, please use the application form for enrollment as a doctoral student.

Please note:

You retain your old student ID number.

If you are switching during semester, you should first contact your examinations office and your health insurer, because the change is valid for the entire semester.

To complete your enrollment as a doctoral student for the next semester, your fees for the next semester must have been paid and received by the University. Bank transfers may take several days.

If no payment has been made within the re-enrollment period, you will have to pay an additional late fee.

Doctoral students who are unable to re-enroll due to a previous degree do not pay an additional late fee if we have received the semester fee within the re-enrollment period.

You cannot terminate your enrollment and re-enroll in the same semester.