In most cases you must apply for admission to an Master’s program, whether admission is restricted or not. You can apply for admission to up to three Master’s programs. All the applications will be processed.
Apply via the online portal. Different deadlines apply to the various programs. Applications or documents which reach us after the relevant deadline cannot be processed. You need ONLY send in the PDF file resulting from the online application procedure - printed out and signed - to reach us before the deadline. Have your documents ready to upload as PDF files. Documents uploaded in this way should NOT be sent in as paper copies.
If you are facing some hardship, please submit the special form "Härtefallantrag" along with certified copies of all necessary documentation, together with your application, ahead of the deadline. Do not upload the hardship application form or the accompanying documentation into the online portal. Consideration of hardship form: Härtefallantrag.
Send your application and copies of documents to us by post. The deadline for applications to restricted-admission Master’s programs is 15 January for the following summer semester or 15 July for the following winter semester. The only documents which may be added to an application after these dates are academic certificates, which must reach us by 1 March for the summer semester and 1 September for the winter semester. The deadline for applications to unrestricted-admission Master’s programs is 31 March for the following summer semester or 30 September for the following winter semester. To ensure that you are applying for the correct semester, consult beforehand with the subject-related counselling service. Use these application forms:
When the application process is complete, you will receive notification via the application portal. Please check it regularly. If you are admitted, you must then enroll within the time limit given in your notification. Read your notification carefully and follow the directions.
When the application process is complete, you will receive notification by post. If you are admitted, you must then enroll within the time limit given in your notification. Read your notification carefully and follow the directions.
Deadlines for Master’s program applications
There are different application deadlines for the Master's programs. Please inform yourself here about the different application deadlines.
For the following subjects:
- Astro and Partical Physics
- Bioinformatik / Bioinformatics
- Cultures of the Global South / Culturas des Sur Global / Cultures du Sud Global
- Deutsche Literatur
- English Linguistics
- Egnlish Literature and Cultures
- Germanistische Linguistik - Theorie und Empirie
- Internationale Literaturen
- Literatur- und Kulturtheorie
- Naturwissenschaftliche Archäologie
For the following subjects:
- Allgemeine Rhetorik
- Allgemeine Sprachwissenschaft
- Altorientalische Philologie
- American Studies
- Computerlinguistik / Computational Linguistics
- Empirische Kulturwissenschaft
- Klassische Archäologie
- Koreanistik / Korean Studies
- Pharmaceutical Sciences and Technologies
- Romanische Literaturwissenschaft
- Romanische Sprachwissenschaft
- Sinologie / Chinese Studies
- Vorderasiatische Archäologie
- Zelluläre und molekulare Biologie der Pflanzen
Applications are possible from December 2018.