Integrating Civic Engagement Into Academia
Civic Engagement is an important part of the university's third mission. We want our students to acquire social responsibility and to reflect critically on their own role within society. Therefore, the sub-section Service-Learning and Civic Engagement supports the integration of volunteer community involvement into academic studies by promoting the innovative Service-Learning pedagogy.
Our concept of Service-Learning encompasses the promotion of a broad variety of civic engagement:
- Service-Learning courses
- Mentoring programs
- Civic Engagement in student initiatives
- EngagemenTransfer, i.e. individual short to long-term non-profit activities
- Civic Engagement Certificate
- CIVIS Micro-programme Civic Engagement
- Advice and training on how to realize Service-Learning projects
What are Service-Learning courses?
Service-Learning is an innovative concept that specifically combines academic learning with civic engagement. Students, lecturers and community partners work together to solve real social challenges.
For students: Learn more about future courses and how they can complement your studies.
For teachers: Demonstrate the social relevance of your research and teaching!
For partners: Give your organization a creative boost!
Crediting opportunities for student civic engagement
- Make an individual contribution, e.g. on independently organized volunteer projects as part of the EngagemenTransfer program
- Become a member or part of the organizing team of a student initiative
- Mentor other students or school pupils
Be a buddy helping international students to settle in
The Civic Engagement Certificate
The Civic Engagement Certificate is an official document, which allows students to prove their personal commitment and critically reflect on their volunteering experience. The certificate can help you stand out from other applicants when applying for work e.g. in the non-profit sector.
CIVIS Micro-programme Civic Engagement
If you want to give to your studies an international dimension please check out the CIVIS micro-programme Civic Engagement. The registration period is already open!