Costs and funding your studies in Tübingen
Tuition and fees
All students have to pay the non waiveable semester fee (“Semesterbeitrag”). It includes:
- Social fee to the Studierendenwerk Tübingen-Hohenheim. It entitles a student to buy a semester
ticket for public transportation at a reduced rate. This ticket is valid for public transportation in and around Tübingen.
- Administrative fee to the university
- Student body fee
Fees for internatonal students
- Students from EU and EC countries only have to pay the semester fee.
- Students from non-EU countries have to pay a tuition fee of 1,500 Euro per semester (3,000 Euro per year).
You can find further information on tuition fees for international students at the Student Administration (“Studierendensekretariat”).
Cost of living
Cost of living
The necessary allowance of a university student at the University of Tübingen per month would be:
|Cost of living (incl. transport)||467 Euro|
|Other expenditures (incl. health insurance)||134 Euro|
|Total expenses||947 Euro|
Source: Bundesministerium für Bildung und Forschung, https:\\www.bafög.de
(Not included is the study fee of Euro 1,500.00 per semester for NON-EU interntaional students).
Funding your studies
Work and study
Basic information on “Working while studying” at the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD).
If you plan to work during your studies, please note:
- All study programs at the University of Tübingen are designed as full-time study programs.
- You would have to work on an extremely tight schedule should you plan on financing your studies yourself.
- It is also extremely difficult to find a job without a fairly good knowledge of German.
Scholarships and student loans
The University of Tübingen does not grant any scholarships. Financial help can sometimes be given in exceptional emergency situations and for a short time only. There is no financial assistance to begin your studies.
- German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD)
- Stipendienlotse – scholarship database of the Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF) (in German only)
- StipendiumPlus - promotion of students and young researchers with special talents (in German only)
- Stiftungssuche – foundation database of the Association of German Foundations (in German only)
- “Deutschlandstipendium” at the University of Tübingen
Basic information on “Student loans” at the Deutsches Studentenwerk (in German only).