Become a Buddy in the International and European Studies Program!
You get the chance:
- To meet students from different countries and cultures
- To develop intercultural competence and practice foreign language skills
- To explore Tübingen and Europe from a different angle
- To find friends for life and build an international network
- Gain ECTS as part of the Studium Professionale (Key Qualification “Intercultural Competence”)
IES Buddy programs during the Summer semester 2020 had to be cancelled because of the current situation
Other possibilities to participate in a Buddy program:
Within the IES Program, students from all over the world can explore Tübingen, Germany, and Europe. The program encompasses courses about Europe and the EU, exciting excursions, as well as intercultural activities.
To support the international participants during their stay in Tübingen and to promote an intercultural exchange we have set up a Buddy Program in which a student of the University of Tübingen teams up with an IES participant: you support your international Buddy upon arrival, with planning common free-time activities, or to get a glimpse into Tübingen student life.
Next to unique experiences and wonderful memories, our Buddies receive ECTS credits which can be rewarded as key qualification “Intercultural Competence” within the framework of the Studium Professionale at Tübingen University’s Career Service.
Your tasks as a Buddy comprise:
- Support of an international IES participant (i.e. company on the arrival day, orientation in Tübingen and in the accommodation, showing ways to University buildings, planning common free-time activities)
- Participation in program activities such as the Welcome- and Graduation receptionParticipation in a photo contest and authoring of a Buddy team presentation for the IES Blog
- Reflection about the experiences in form of a questionnaire
Next to the participation in the obligatory events the Buddy teams should regularly meet (ca. twice a week). It is up to you and your buddy when and how often you meet and what you do. You can plan any free-time activities (have lunch together, gaming evenings, cook together, take trips to places nearby etc.), support each other with learning languages or talk about the topics addressed in class. In addition, the activities organized by the IES program offer opportunities to meet and make common experiences.
To prepare you properly for your tasks you will participate in a two-day intercultural workshop. The goals of the workshop are:
- Getting introduced to approaches and concepts of the description of cultures
- Reflect upon and precise the own awareness
- Learn and apply strategies for the handling of experiences of foreignness
- Prepare for the role and tasks as a Buddy
All students of the University of Tübingen can become a Buddy. The only prerequisite is to have a good command of English. By clicking on “current programs” you can find further information on the application as well as the application form.
If you should have any questions you can write us an email or call us:
firstname.lastname@example.org // 07071 – 29 72749 (Miriam Keppner, in the afternoon)
After sending your application via email you will receive a confirmation of receipt. About one week after the official registration deadline, you will be informed whether you can participate in the program or not. One criterion for selection is your availability during the whole time of the program. We will match Buddy teams according to fields of study, language skills and interests.
We are looking forward to meeting you!
Your IES Team