Regular duration of studies
Is a combination subject required?
Admission to the international Master’s program in Medical Informatics is not admission-restricted, but all students, including those holding a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, are requested to submit a formal application.
Study places assinged by an internal selection procedure:
- Academic achievements in bachelor’s programme
- Extraordinary achievements, which are informative about your suitability and motivation to be able studying medical informatics
- final exam in bachelor’s programme in medical informatics or in a similary course (e.p. bioinformatics, computational biology or informatics) and
- a final degree of 2,5 or better and
- acceptably english language skills on B2 niveau or better.
The course taught primary in english and partially german. Applicants must provide adequate proof of English proficiency (B2). Applicants of foreign-language need additionally evidence of a german-language basic skills (Test DaF Niveau 3 oder DSH Niveau 1 or an equivalent language certificate on niveau B2 or better).
The Medical Informatics program cannot be complemented with a minor subject.
Medical Informatics is the interdisciplinary science of the systematic acquisition, administration, storage, processing and provision of data, information and knowledge in medicine and health care. The MSc degree course in Medical Informatics teaches important principles, concepts and methods of computer science as well as of human medicine and natural sciences. This degree course provides graduates with knowledge about the application and development of computer science methods in the medical field, enabling them to develop programs and lead development teams in various fields of application.
Through selection of the appropriate modules within the required elective modules it is possible to complete this degree course entirely in English.
The studies will be in close cooperation with the medical department, especially focused on project management as well as the development of new systems always considering technical, economic and social boundaries.
The 2-year master program consists of the following modules:
- Research Practice in Medical Informatics (12 CP)
- Biomedical Informatics (24 CP)
- Medicine-Medical Technology (18 CP)
- Informatics (18 CP)
- Advanced Medical Informatics (9 CP)
- Advanced Bioinformatics (9 CP)
- Master Thesis + Colloquium (30 CP)
The Erasmus-Program (Uppsala, Schweden) offers specific opportunities for studying abroad to students of computer science-related disciplines.
Optional time abroad
You may choose to spend some time abroad as part of any study program. You should start planning it 12 to 18 months before your departure.
Here you will find general information and advice on studying abroad. In addition, some departments have their own subject-specific services providing information on studying abroad.
Computer science in Tübingen is one of the leading CS departments in Germany in terms of research, and it is internationally renowned. The department collaborates with major enterprises and research institutes both nationally and internationally. The CS department places strong emphasis on interdisciplinary cooperation with other university departments, in particular medicine, biology, psychology, and media studies, and also with the three Max Planck Institutes located in Tübingen.Facts and figures:
In the winter term 2019/2020 about 1980 students study at the Department of Computer Science:
- Bioinformatik Bachelor of Science: 104
- Bioinformatik/Bioinformatics Master of Science: 110
- Bioinformatik Promotion: 30
- Informatik Bachelor of Science Hauptfach: 628
- Informatik Bachelor of Science Nebenfach: 70
- Informatik Master of Science: 221
- Informatik Promotion: 90
- Informatik Bachelor of Education: 62
- Informatik Bachelor of Education berufl LA: 1
- Informatik Master of Education: 4
- Informatik Vorleistungen Erweiterungsfach: 10
- Erweiterungsprüfung: 3
- Informatik Lehramt: 1
- Kognitionswissenschaft Bachelor of Science: 229
- Kognitionswissenschaft Master of Science: 101
- Kognitionswissenschaft Promotion: 18
- Machine Learning Master of Science: 32
- Medieninformatik Bachelor of Science: 134
- Medieninformatik Master of Science: 47
- Medizininformatik Bachelor of Science: 73
- Medizininformatik/Medical Informatics Master of Science: 12
The module manual can be find on the Websites of the Department of Computer Science.
Help with choosing a study program
Help with your decision to study in Tübingen:
To help you decide whether Tübingen is right for you, here are some contact points and information on studying in Germany:
University of Tübingen
- University of Tübingen’s international profile
- Contact: University office for the Advising and Admission of International Students
- Information on application for international students
- FAQs for international students
- Addresses and contact points for international students at the University of Tübingen
All areas of the IT industry, especially in the diverse professional fields of medical information processing and health care.
Advice and internships
The University’s Career Service assists with careers orientation and getting started in your profession. Jobs and internships can be found in the Praxisportal.
is given. For further information see the websites of the Faculty of Science http://www.uni-tuebingen.de/en/faculties/faculty-of-science/postgraduate/doctoral-studies.html