Application and Preparation for your Stay in Tübingen

How to Apply

Applying is easy! Follow the steps:

  1. Check if the University of Tübingen is a partner of your home university
  2. Check the language requirements to see if you fulfill the necessary prerequisites to come to Tübingen as an exchange student
  3. Your home university must nominate you for the Exchange Program at the University of Tübingen. Once this nomination has been received, the Admission Office will send an email with detailed instructions on the application process.
  4. After completing the online application, you need to print out the application form (a print version can be generated in the application system).
  5. The application form has to be stamped and signed by the coordinator of your home institution and sent to the following address by mail:

    Admissions Office
    University of Tuebingen
    Nauklerstr. 2
    72074 Tuebingen

    Scans or copies cannot be accepted.

    Application Deadlines: 31st of May for the Winter Semester 31st of December for the Summer Semester.
  6. You do not need to hand in any supporting documents such as a language certificate with your application except if you wish to study at the Faculty of Science (= Natural Sciences) or the Faculty of Medicine. In that case you need to add a Transcript of Records as well as a Study Plan with a course list that can be sent to the faculty for approval to your application.
  7. Once we have received your complete application, it usually takes between one and three weeks to assess your application. After that you will receive the official letter of admission.
  8. Find out how to apply for accomodation at a student dormitory. You can start an application at the same time as you apply at the University. To complete your application, hand in a copy of your official letter of admission as soon as you have received it.
  9. If you would like to improve your German before the beginning of term, you can apply for a place in one of the intensive preparation classes offered for exchange students at the Section for German as a Foreign Language and Intercultural Programs.
  10. Check out courses in your field of studies and German classes you would like to register for as soon as you have arrived in Tübingen.

Language Requirements

Recommended language proficiency: You should have a B2 level in the language of instruction (German or English, depending on the course). The level refers to the ‘Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR)’. However, you do not have to hand in a proof of your language proficiency. For daily life, we recommend you to have a basic knowledge of German.

Course Options

As an exchange student you can choose freely from the courses offered at the University of Tübingen, even across different subjects and faculties. At the Faculty of Science and the Faculty of Medicine your courses will have to be approved by the faculty and you might need to prove that you have the necessary prerequisites for courses by providing a Transcript of Records.

Course Restrictions

Faculty of Medicine courses are only open to you if you are coming through an agreement between the Faculty of Medicine of your home institution and Tübingen Faculty of Medicine.

English-taught Classes

The University of Tübingen offers a wide range of courses in English every semester. Use the links below to see the English-taught courses currently offered and the course catalogues of past semesters for your reference.

List of English-taught courses (updated befor each semester)

English-taught Master programs

German Language and Culture Classes

The University of Tübingen has one of the biggest German as a Foreign Language Departments in Germany, offering a large variety of German language classes as well as classes of German culture, politics etc. The courses are free for exchange students. You only need to pay for course materials and for excursions, in case these are part of the course. Find out about your options on the website of the Division of German as a Foreign Language and Intercultural Programs!

German-taught classes at the Faculties

In case you speak German well enough to follow academic courses (you should have a German level of B2), you can take regular courses at the faculties. The current course catalogue can be found via the online course platform Campus

Recommended Workload

The regular workload for a German student is 30 credits (ECTS). Generally speaking, international students tend to take on too much during their exchange semester(s). The demands on time and energy are greater than at home, so set a reasonable pace in your semester of study. Two to three “Seminare” (seminars, four to six hours) or two to three “Übungen” (exercise courses, four to six hours) and two “Vorlesungen” (lectures, four hours) will constitute a reasonable load. Don’t overdo it and allow yourself the time to become acquainted with Tübingen and with Germans while you study here. Please also note that your home institution might have minimum requirements in regards to your workload.



Student Dormitories

We recommend all exchange students to consider living in the student dormitories as their first option. The private housing market in Tübingen is not only wildly expensive. It is also highly competitive and it is very difficult to rent a room for a limited time, i.e. one or two semesters. Living in the student dormitories is a convenient cheap housing option. Also, all rooms for exchange students are single rooms with shared kitchen and usually shared bathrooms, and fully furnished.

The dormitories are administered by the Studierendenwerk Tübingen (Student Services Organization which is not affiliated with the University). Since the University does not own the dormitories, we cannot guarantee any rooms for exchange students. However, if you apply in time for a room in the dormitories, it is highly likely that you will receive a spot in one of the dorms.

For an overview of the dormitories please see here::

You can apply for dormitory housing online directly on the website of the Studierendenwerk. Contracts will be available for the duration of the whole semester only (September to February and March to July/August). Monthly rents are between 230 and 350 Euros. There is a deposit of 400 Euros due upon arrival.

Private Housing

We would not recommend to choose private housing and we cannot assist you in finding private housing. Most German students live in so-called “Wohngemeinschaften” (WGs), meaning that a couple of people share an apartment to split the rent. In this case the bathroom and the kitchen are usually shared.


Entering without a visa:

Citizens of the following countries are allowed to enter Germany without a visa but need to apply for a student residence permit in Tübingen within 90 days after they enter Europe: Andorra, Australia, Brazil, El Salvador, Honduras, Israel, Japan, Canada, Monaco, New Zealand, San Marino, South Korea and the United States of America. Those students apply for the student residence permit as part of the steps to matriculation.

Visa for Germany

All other nationalities need a student visa prior to their entry. A tourist visa cannot be changed to a student visa in Germany!

More information is provided by the DAAD

Health Insurance

Health Insurance

In Germany health insurance is mandatory while you study at a German university. A student health insurance through a “gesetzliche” Krankenkasse” is possible until the 14th semester or until the age of 30. It costs approx. 90 Euros per month and is valid throughout the EU.

Upon matriculation you either need to prove that you are insured by a “gesetzliche Krankenkasse” or exempted by them.

Exemption from Health Insurance:

European Insurance::

Take your EHIC-card to a “gesetzliche Krankenkasse” and ask for an exemption certificate (Befreiungsbescheinigung). The EHIC-card is sufficient to get the exemption certificate.

International Insurances:

Take the health insurance contract to a “gesetzliche Krankenkasse”. They can certify that your international health insurance meets the minimum requirements for students in Germany. At the moment one of the requirements is an unlimited coverage for in and out of hospital treatment. Only a “gesetzliche Krankenkasse” is allowed to exempt you from the mandatory student health insurance. They will issue an exemption certificate for enrollment if they find your health insurance adequate.