Program for the Promotion of Junior Researchers

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

I do not have my PhD certificate yet. Can I still apply?

Yes. In this case you must hand in a statement by the Dean’s Office that your disputation has taken place. Your PhD certificate must be submitted when available.

What is the effective date in regards to the 5 years after my PhD?

The date of your PhD certificate may be a maximum of 5 years before the start of your planned project. Childcare leave is taken into regard according to DFG regulations: 2 years per child for mothers, 1 year per child for fathers or periods of official childcare leave (Elternzeit).

Can I apply if I am not employed at the University of Tübingen?

Since you cannot raise funds for your own position via this funding model, you need to be employed at the University of Tübingen. In individual cases, a scholarship that secures the project’s duration in Tübingen can suffice.

Can I apply, if my contract ends during the funding period?

If you employment contract ends during the funding period but in principle can be extended, your professor/director has to declare in the supporting letter that he/she is willing to extend your contract. 


Can I apply as a junior professor?

Yes, you are welcome to apply. 

Can I re-apply to the program?

Yes. You can try again with an updated version, if your proposal has been rejected. If you have already successfully raised external funds within the scope of the program for the promotion of junior researchers, you can apply with a new project.

For what duration can I apply for funding? I need less than 18 months; can I still apply for the full funding amount?

The duration is up to a maximum of 18 months. It is not a problem if you need only a year of funding. The submission of your third party funding proposal is, however, mandatory and must be documented.

What happens, if I leave the university of Tübingen?

This funding is individual and linked to your employment at the university of Tübingen. Therefore you cannot transfer it to another university or another colleague. Remaining funds expire. 

Who needs to sign where?

The “declaration & fact sheet” (available in the online application or via the Excellence Initiative’s Internal Documents) must be signed by:

  • the applicant
  • the dean
  • the institute director (because of the commitment of facilities).


What should I do if my institute director is not here?

Due to the corona virus, digital signatures on the data sheet are sufficient until further notice. Alternatively, we require a personal e-mail from the head of the institute or the dean to sonja.grossmannspam prevention@uni-tuebingen.de stating that the application is supported. 

All signatures are mandatory. In exceptional cases, if it is not possible to obtain the signature of the institute director, the applicant must contact the research support office.

If necessary, the signature can be submitted later (in consultation with the research support office); until then, the deputy institute director must sign the data sheet. (When the institute director returns, the data sheet must be reprinted and submitted with the missing signature.)